Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Meaning of Life (Part I)


There are those who hate this question. They believe that such a question is a waste of time. I’m here to tell you that I am indifferent on the topic. I don’t think that it is a waste of time to ponder such a question. Isn’t it the ultimate aim of philosophy to bring us to this very same conclusion? At the same time of course it would be much more convenient to let the whole mess sort itself out.
         I can’t not go through this essay without mentioning my favorite number. 42 there I said it, though if one really wants to read into the 42 theory, I believe there is more than meets they eye. The conclusion of this idea we shall come to realize very shortly.
         Now for the cliché bit: life does not have one overarching single idea that can reveal the meaning of life, and to assume that would be such a concept is totally ludicrous. Can you imagine what wonderful shape the world would be in if there were just one flavor of existence? Choices are bad. Wouldn’t it be far easier if there were only one flavor cream of ice? Sadly much like ice cream life’s meaning is not cookie cutter. There is a flavor for everyone. It’s customizable, but certainly not user-friendly.
         For those who want life’s ultimate and true meaning to be handed to them on a silver platter, you are sorely out of luck. This is a topic that is easy to write about, because I am basically able to say. “Good luck guys. You’re on your own.” I should explain. Like I said life’s meaning isn’t cookie cutter. Vis-à-vis you’ve got to figure it out for yourself. For example I really like playing the saxophone. So for me playing the saxophone may be the highest peak of metaphysical and spiritual joy I can find. For the trumpet player this would be an unfortunate meaning, and this is precisely why each individual is responsible for discovering his or her own meaning.
         This is where 42 has it wrong. Hell, while we’re at it let’s just go ahead and say that it’s right as it well. The idea that there is a singular explanation for everything that life is, or isn’t there. 42 pokes fun at this, literally, at face value 42 stands as complete BS that deserves no consideration. If one looks deeper they will find that Douglas Adams perhaps meant to inspire people to go out and actually look for what they believe to be the meaning. For if 42 is the ultimate answer naturally there is an ultimate question. It’s up to you to figure that one out.
        


It isn't the answer however, because it isn't the answer it IS the answer 

Thus Spoke Grant 

The meaning of life is to like and follow us!

No comments:

Post a Comment