Wednesday, October 10, 2012

An Argument Against Phone Covers

  They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Forrest Gump thought Jenny was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. In American Beauty, Ricky Fitts thought the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen was a plastic bag in the wind. My friend, if you asked him right now, would probably say that the most beautiful thing is his new Samsung Galaxy S3. No joke.
  This friend and I were talking the other day, and he mentioned that he sort of wanted a phone cover, but he didn't like that it would ruin the sleek beauty of the phone. I, of course, responded, "Yeah, the full experience of the beauty, even if it is transient, is worth the risk of destruction." (I do indeed talk like that occasionally in my everyday life.) I thought that was an interesting idea, though, so I wanted to talk about it. (This may get a tad ramble-y.)
  Note: I'd suggest, in reading this, you keep in mind the most beautiful thing YOU'VE ever seen/experienced/whatever, and imagine losing it. Imagine that girl with the eyes that look right through you moved away or you couldn't listen to that song that always makes you cry ever again or you totalled your Ferrari beyond repair or, you know, whatever else.
  In economics, there's a thing called cost-benefit analysis. Basically, if the benefits outweigh the cost, then you go for it, you take the risk; if the costs outweigh the benefits, you play it safe. I don't think beauty works that way, though. I think, with something beautiful, the benefits always outweigh the costs, the risk is always worth it. I think that if my friend only has his phone for a week, after which he drops and breaks it, but in that week he experiences true happiness and beauty, it's worth it.
  I suggest that most people think the same way. In fact, I think that this is the reason that most people don't commit suicide; everyone is willing to risk the misery they may feel now or later for the euphoria they may feel one day. Other than religion and avoiding hurting your loved ones, this is the third-most prevalent reason I've heard for not committing suicide to avoid suffering. (I'm not religious and I referenced the fact that I am not averse to being selfish in my essay Screw Charity, It's My Money, so this must be my reason as well.)
  I'm not in a position to decide whether transient beauty is worth risking everything, but I think I must prefer higher highs and lower lows to a life of continuous mediocrity. Mediocrity's just boring, and boring is my least favorite quality in the world for anything to be. I personally would risk anything to experience true beauty. It's the "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" logic. Please comment and let me know if you disagree!

Beauty? Okay, if you say so.
- Adarsh Nednur

Risk it all, take a chance, follow us on Facebook and Twitter. We'll make it pay off, we promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment